Historic Fort Reno Volunteers
Historic Fort Reno, Inc., is a non profit organization dedicated to the preservation and use of the historical and cultural resources of Fort Reno. It relies partly on donations and volunteers to help support its mission statement to preserve and spread the history of Fort Reno.
Not sure if you'd have the time to volunteer? You'd be surprised what a difference a few hours a week, even a month, can make! For for information on how you can help contact the Visitor Center at (405) 262-3987.
Here's how you could help:
- The Historic Fort Reno Visitor's Center is open 7 days a week, 10am to 4pm, and requires a volunteer to act as Historical Interpreter to the many visitors the Fort receives. Volunteers can offer to work one day a week (weekday or weekend) or alternate days (such as every other Saturday). We will help you work out a schedule that works for you.
- The Interpreter greets visitors and provides a short history of the Fort as well as answers any questions the visitor's might have regarding the Fort. Volunteers are provided with the historical information and are encouraged to further their knowledge through the many resources we provide.
- The Visitor's Center also includes a gift shop, the Interpreter will be required to run a simple cash register and punch up sales, training for the register will be provided.
- As an Interpreter you will meet individuals from all over the world, such as Canada, Japan, Australia, Germany, Denmark, and South Africa.
- For more information on how you can help contact the Visitor Center at (405) 262-3987.
- Historic Fort Reno puts on several events each year which highlight the long and varied history of the Fort. Re-enactors are individuals who tell this history by placing on period clothing and acting out the real life of those who once lived and worked at Fort Reno.
- 'Scripts' are provided with the historical details of the individual being re-enacted and in many cases period clothing can be provided.
- Events are often geared towards educating children and provide a valuable service in keeping the past alive and exciting for today's youth.
- For for information on how you can help contact the Visitor Center at (405) 262-3987.
- The Visitor's Center gift shop contains several historical books and memorabilia for purchase. These items need to be ordered and tracked to keep the gift shop stocked.
- Historic Fort Reno requires a dedicated individual to take the lead on inventory, insuring full shelves are kept and timely inventory audits are done. Tasks involve ordering, producing labels, counting the register, and using Excel to track stock.
- Volunteer hours can be flexible and some of the work may be done from home. Weekly stock counts must be performed but can be arranged to fit your schedule.
- For for information on how you can help contact Karen Nix at (405) 262-3987.
- The Visitor's Center and Chapel are visited daily and require basic cleaning, including trash removal, sweeping, dusting, and bathroom maintenance.
- Historic Fort Reno is looking for an individual or individuals who can provide cleaning services on either a daily basis or a set schedule.
- For for information on how you can help contact the Karen Nix at (405) 262-3987.